It is really easy to get into the routine of buying pre-made sandwiches every day. However, these always contain a lot of added sugar and salt and it holds very little nutritional value. Next time have a look at the calories – you’ll be shocked! Every day is super hectic for most of us, and the first thing you look for on your break is something quick and easy to eat at lunch. This is when we often make impulsive decisions and opt for the unhealthy snacks the supermarkets offer to us.
Try change this habit by making this extremely delicious and healthy chicken salad the night before, not only is it really filling, it also uses up all those odd leftover bits in the fridge. Such a simple lunch is so often overlooked but it is super easy and healthy and ticks all the right boxes.
- 2 medium boneless, skinless, Chicken Breasts – cut into half horizontally
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Lettuce – chopped
- 1 Avocado
- 3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- A handful of Coriander
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes,
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooling Time: 10 Minutes
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing/marinade in a medium bowl. Place the chicken breasts into a container and pour half of the mixture to coat the chicken breasts.
- Place the lid onto container and place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to a maximum of 24 hours, or if time is limited you can cook the chicken immediately. Reserve the rest of the marinade for later to use as a dressing.
- Heat up a pan/skillet to a medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Add a tsp of oil to the pan and then add the chicken breasts. Cook 4-5 minutes or until charred. Add in the vegetables and cook for further 3-5 minutes or until they are soft.
- Divide the lettuce into two salad bowls. Top each with half of the chicken fajita veggies, and sliced avocado. Serve with reserved dressing and sour-cream if desired.