Cheap Personal Trainer Courses
Want to become a Personal Trainer (PT)? Read our guide on Free/Cheap Personal Trainer Courses. Find out everything you need below to be the best PT.
Study Personal Training
Firstly, before becoming a personal trainer you must have gained your Level 2 Gym Instructor Certificate. This course enables you to start out in the fitness industry and to be able to work within a gym environment. This course will give you basic knowledge of anatomy & physiology, health and safety, gym equipment, programmes etc. After you have completed this qualification, you are then able to progress onto your Level 3 PT qualification. Within your Level 3 you will learn in more detail the chapters which you covered level 2 and will also learn more about nutrition.
What Makes a Good Personal Trainer?
Being a personal trainer is not only about having a passion about fitness, but it also requires an array of different skills. Firstly, patience is key! It’s very important to remember that not everyone is able to participate at the same level as you. Some of your clients may pick up an exercise very quickly, however, some might take longer. It is important to understand that everyone is different.
You also have to be an excellent communicator. This is to ensure your client is understanding you 100% as if this is not the case they could perform an exercise with the incorrect form, which could cause them injury and could put a stop to their training. Not only will this affect your client but it will also have a negative impact on your work too. Another very important ability is that you must have excellent time management skills and will have to be extremely organised. Time is money they say! You also need to be good at building meaningful connections and describe yourself as a ‘people person.’ Not only does this help your clients to feel at ease but it will also help your customer retention. Need more tips on being the best PT, click here.
What are the different types of Personal Training?
This is a very important question as this can define the type of course you pick. For example, if you love yoga and are not too keen on personal training then a yoga instructor course might be more suitable. Therefore, having an understanding of your likes and dislikes is vital. From here you will be able to tailor a programme specifically to your future plans. If you know you would love to work with children, then a course which focuses on this special population may be beneficial to you. Or if you want to go down the path of sports massage then choosing this specific training can be extremely helpful. Not only will it save you time in the future, but it will also save you a lot of money as well. Also begin to think about if you would like to be certified in Continued Development Plan (CDP) courses.
By thinking about this now, this can also help you to save money in the future.
Cheap Online Personal Trainer Courses
There are many options available, many companies offer a full-time course which is usually the quickest way of obtaining your qualification. This is a very hands on approach and you will take a lot of the information in quickly. This is a great option if you have the time and finances to do so. However, if you are working and want to take this course on a part time basis, this is also widely offered.
You can also participate in courses as a distant learner and can study online. However, with this option you have to be extremely motivated and organised. This may work really well for some people as they are able to study and to learn in their own way and at their own pace, but if you are not so organised and motivated you may want to choose a course where you have to attend. Distance courses are quite often the cheaper option.
What is the Cheapest Personal Training Certification?
Once you have decided that personal training is right for you and you have chosen the type of learning you wish to participate in, it is now time to shop around. There are many things to consider when choosing the company, you wish to go with.
- Training Providers – Firstly, you may find a really cheap course however, this could be a complete waste of money if it is not recognised and approved by the governing body. Below I have included a list of all approved organisations which are recognised by CYQ (YMCA) & Active IQ.
- Free Membership – Also look out for companies that offer you a free membership of International Register of Exercise Professionals (IREPs) as this can be very useful once you have gained your qualification. ‘REPs is an independent, public register which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK.
- REPs – REPs provides a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed National Occupational Standards. It also offers assurance and confidence to the public and employers that all professionals on the Register are appropriately qualified and have the knowledge, competence and skills to perform their role effectively.’
It is also useful if you compare different companies.
- Packages – Some offer packages which can be a great way of getting a group of certifications at a lower price. Others also run offers such as 10% off etc.
- Multi Buy – Having also thought about the extra qualifications you may need/want in the future enables you to plan ahead, therefore you can get the best deal. For example, you may have chosen the Level 2 Gym Instructor course as it is the cheapest option, however, if you have now decided you want to become a Personal Trainer then you will need this course also. This may cost you more money to buy the Level 2 and 3 separately.
- CDP’s – Also think about is how employable you are afterwards. Many gyms look for different add on skills so CDPs can be a great way to stand out from the crowd. See if companies have packages including these also.
- Guaranteed Interviews – The last thing to look for companies which have partnerships with employers. After you have completed your course you will no doubt be looking for a job and some training providers offer guaranteed interviews.
Personal Trainer Course Prices & Payment
Now you have thought about all aspects of your qualification and have chosen the company you wish to study with, it is important to think about payment.
- If you do not have the funds to pay for your course you may be eligible for Government Funding which is known as the Advanced Learner Loan.
- The Advanced Learner Loan scheme is an initiative backed by the Government to help anyone 19 or over to fund training and education programmes. The scheme operates in a similar way to the student loan facility used to fund higher education.
- You won’t need to start making repayments until you are earning a salary of £21,000 or more per year.
- However, it is important to check and to compare interest rates as some offer a 0% APR for the first 12 months.
- Another way of paying is a Payment Plan.
- Look out for companies that offer a range of finance packages which will make payment flexible and affordable to you.
Free Personal Trainer Courses
You may be trying to find free personal trainer courses online, however, this is not easy. If you do manage to find one it probably will not certify you to actually work as a Personal Trainer. The best way to find free content is to read and do a lot of research, but also to be within a gym environment and to be training yourself. If you like it and have a passion for PT then this would be a good place to start to find your perfect course, following the steps above.